Monday, April 19, 2010

It's all downhill from here...

As it has been pointed out more than a few times to me...I have reached the half-way mark of my time here with Mercy Ships. Pretty crazy to think about how the time has gone. Most times, I still don't know where it went. Yet, looking back, time seems to be doing this impossible thing in my head, where it feels like the days are passing by fast, yet I also feel like I've been at this for a lot longer than it has been...all at once. I realize that the hospital has been open for less than 2 months. But some days, it doesn't seem that way.

Thankfully, a schedule of sorts had been hammered out for me in the last few months (those of you who know me, know that I like structure.). Work is from 8:30 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday. Hospital devotions at 7:30 am on Monday mornings, Community devotions at 7:45 on Tuesday mornings, and Auxiliary team devotions at 8 am on Wednesday mornings. We have Community meetings every Thursday night at 7:30 pm, followed by ice cream and fellowship. Monday and Wednesday nights at 5:15 pm, there is soccer (or fútbol), which I normally play. Not to mention ultimate frisbee on Friday nights, also at 5:15 pm. Breakfast ends at 7:30 am (please note that I don't know when it starts.), lunch is from 12 pm to 1 pm, and dinner is served between the hours of 5 pm and 6:30 pm.

Weekends, I am usually left to my own devices...but, since I'm on call every other weekend, what I do varies. I usually try to get off the ship just for a change of scenery, even if it's just to the Seamen's Mission (When on call, I can leave the ship, as long as I can get back there within 30 minutes if needed. I just have to carry a cell phone with me.).

People still ask me and want to know what it's like living here on the Africa Mercy. And, still after all this time, words fail me. I feel like I cannot adequately portray this life for you...it's something that you need to experience. Yet, I recognize that for the most part, people are trying to live this experience through me. So - what can I say for it? I usually say, "It's a weird life, this ship life.", and most of my friends here agree.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that it's bad...but for the most part, it's not the way we would normally live in North America. We are a living, breathing community...with members from 40+ different countries. In essence, I feel like we are a village in a metal box. We are like any other community you may think of, be it your church community, your network of friends, your co-workers...here on the Africa Mercy, we are all that in one.

Where else would I willingly choose to share a bedroom with 3 strangers? Please note, that I don't willingly share a bedroom with my little sister, Neysa. Where else is your work place less than a minute walk away...at any time...from either where you lay your head, eat your meals, or take your leisure time? Where else would you learn so much about other cultures...and realize the culture that has been engraved in you without you really noticing it?

There have been lots of things that I have learned. I have found that often times, I can be really quiet (contrary to my stepdad's nickname for me, "Crash, Boom, Bang".) in efforts to be considerate of my roommates. I have also learnt, that it's usually when you are making the effort to be quiet, that gravity takes hold and noise is unavoidable. I have also learnt how to sleep with ear plugs (which is great, because I am a light sleeper)...although, most mornings I find that I somehow managed to take them out in the middle of the night. Sometimes, my bunkmate, Bernice, is picking my earplugs up off the floor for me (usually when I can't find them in my bed sheets). Other mornings, I remember how I took them out, thinking in my sleep fog that holding them in my hand is the best way to prevent Bernice from having to pick them up off the floor (which, is not always true...and also better than waking up from dreaming that they are croissants, as Hannah has once pointed out to me).

I know that a few of my friends were concerned about me coming here...and for 6 months. Which, at one time seemed like a long time. Now, it seems like just a small snippet of my life. Some voiced selfish concerns...about them not wanting me to be so far away from them or so far away for so long. And, others were concerned that I wouldn't make friends so readily...and some were concerned that since I am so community/relationship oriented (in their minds)...that being away from the community that I had set up in Canada wouldn't suit me. However, being here...it's just a matter of finding a space for yourself in this ever changing community, and making friends isn't as hard as it once seemed.

Everyday, it seems there is something new to learn about living in community. There are pros and cons, but for the most part - it's been thoroughly enjoyable, and I think that I am learning fast... ;-)

No comments: