Monday, May 24, 2010

Refueled...

I have once heard a quote that goes something like this:

“We need 4 hugs a day for survival. We need 8 hugs a day for maintenance. We need 12 hugs a day for growth."

Not to say that I am a "touchy" person...but with the friends that I have back home, I have come to enjoy and even look forward to hugs and cuddles. I'm also not saying that there aren't people like that here on the Africa Mercy...but, some times it's just a weird environment to come right out and start randomly hugging people. Then again, not to say that I would do that. I would selectively hug people.

Miriam and I once had a conversation about this in the pharmacy. I guess one day, I was feeling like my love tank was running a little low. I stopped and figured out that I don't get hugged much here. We deduced that it's because, even if you are a person to show affection, you don't necessarily do it right away with people you "just meet" (And you happen to "just meet" lots of people here on the ship.). You usually wait until you know someone well enough to know that they would be okay with and even reciprocate a hug every now and again. And slowly, I am finding people here who like to hug...and I welcome the hugs that come my way...usually (Just a note to explain the usually - I often get hugs when I'm in a bad mood in the pharmacy.).

Yet, inspite of all that...I find that my love tank gets refueled at the orphanage, the Maison Bethel...usually when I'm not so aware that it was low. So much so, that I don't really know who gets loved on more...me or those kids. I always leave there on Saturdays, beaming, so happy that I went...so happy to love and to be loved on.

I have really enjoyed my time with the kids at the orphanage. To me, they're amazing. They share well, they look out for one another, yet they teach one another and toughen up the little ones (In a good way, of course. Two weekends ago, a little 2 (?) year old boy named Jean threw a bit of the fit on the swing with me, because he didn't want Veronica sitting next to me. So, an older boy, Lolo, picked him up, set him on the ground outside of the swing, and let him cry for a bit. When Jean came back to sit on my lap, he didn't fuss one bit more about Veronica being by my side.).

I have become some what of a regular there. And, slowly but surely, I am learning all their names...learning who the quiet ones are, who is a bit naughty, who nurtures, who shares and who needs to learn how to share. As soon as I enter the orphanage and sit down, I usually have Veronica in my lap. She lavishes me endlessly with hugs and follows me around and has me help her with the craft of the week. It's awesome. Yet, I watch her and see that she is willing to share. She gives her snacks to others, will trade coloring pencils with others, and will even let someone else occupy my lap - as I had a sleeping baby there just this past Saturday.

I am hoping, that in the end, when I leave there every Saturday, those kids are left beaming, happy that we came to spend time with them, happy to love and be loved on. And, although there is a language barrier there, and I can't speak freely with them as I would like to...I'm hoping and praying that the language of Love speaks volumes to them, and speaks volumes to their hearts. That it lets them know that they are loved...and that He loves them.


Me and my friend, Veronica

Hannah, with Angela on her back, and Lea beside her

1 comment:

Graham said...

i like this blog tati. its makes me think of trail - why? because i always got lots of hugs in trail!
here - attached to this comment is an E-HUG!!!
I was thinking about you lately and missed you, and so i fnially came and caught up on your blog.