Tuesday, February 09, 2010

One more sail sleep...

...AND THEN WE'RE IN TOGO. Hahaha, that sounds pretty exuberant, I think! Spirits are pretty high here on the ship, as people are laying out on Deck 8, trying to cool down while gazing at the starry night sky or talking about where to go on shore level. In Togo, things will shift yet again, as more people join the current crew. We will be preparing and setting up the hospital after the sail...and by the end of this month, we should be starting surgeries, and patients and day-crew will join the rest of us here on the Africa Mercy.

The new and returning crew (this would include myself) spent the last two days in orientation - learning about all sorts of things, from the proposed objectives for the Togo outreach to cross-cultural adaptation to thriving in community (because at the heart of Mercy Ships, it's what we are) to managing stress and conflict. All of these were valid topics to discuss and were helpful as well. Helpful because in a community such as this, it's better to understand what your worldview looks like, and understand that it will likely vary from another person's worldview. Differences will occur and can cause much misunderstanding in this kind of community. Being aware of such differences can hopefully help you understand the other person, rather than take offense, and avoid conflicts. As amazing and unique as this community is, we are all still human in the end...

It was really interesting for me because we had discussed expectations in these sessions as well. I think that often times we forget that other people have expectations of us, whether or not we have expectations of them. Also amusing for me as this past week, I have been reflecting upon expectations. I thought that I come to the Africa Mercy without expectations...just a blank slate. But, as I started to settle into life here, I realized slowly that I did have some expectations, conscious or unconscious... Not saying that it's a bad thing, just that it requires some adjustment to my thinking...an adjustment that I hadn't initially anticipated on making because I wasn't originally aware of the expectation. I've learned quickly that you have to be willing to make lots of adjustments and be flexible in this environment.

I'm also realizing that having expectations isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as you are flexible when situations don't line up with what you originally thought...and as long as you are aware that they are your expectations and perceptions. In everything, you have to be willing to be flexible...and maybe even change.

I'm still finding it a bit hard to find a quiet place. I know where they are if I desire to seek them out. But, part of my doesn't want to go there and isolate myself. I'm afraid that I might be left out or miss out on something. I like the hustle and business of all the people around, even if I don't want to join in. Luckily, I think that Hannah feels the same. We can often sit by each other and ignore the business...and ignore each other, but be happy for the quiet company. Well, I can't speak for her, but I know I feel that way.

At least we get a bit of a quiet before the storm...before life here on the ship gets even busier. And with that...I would love to share with you the objectives that have been laid out for this outreach. Even though this is a shorter outreach (6 months, compared to their usual 10 months) due to a longer shipyard stay in South Africa later this year...it looks like we have a packed agenda. And, while I do tell you about what I do (because, let's face it this blog is all about my perspective)...there is so much more going on that I don't see or won't necessarily be a part of...but, I think that it's more than worthwhile to mention. So, here they are:
* 2400 – 2600 surgeries affecting 2100-2400 patients...including opthamology, maxillo-facial, facial reconstruction, VVF, orthopedics, and general surgeries
* training opportunities for local doctors...opthalmic (2-3 doctors), maxilo-facial and plastics reconstruction (1-2 doctors), ortho Ponseti technique of non-surgically fixing club feet in infants (1-2 doctors)
* WHO training – Integrated Management of Childhood Illness (training 24 public workers
* training of 1 biomedical technician from a public hospital
* providing mental health services for ~400 people
* drill water wells in partnership with GAIN (a Canadian organization)
* agricultural training for staff members of 3 local NGO's
* Pastor’s conference for Togolese pastors
* dental program, as well as dental assistant training for 4 people
* construction of clinics (4 in Benin, 1 in Togo)
And, our theme for this year is: "Thinking outside the Hull".
(Thanks to Hannah, for all ready typing out the list so that I could copy and paste!)

So, it was exciting to hear what they have planned...and it will be really awesome to see it all come together!

Please pray that we make it into port safely tomorrow. Pray for the hands that are guiding this ship into position, that they avoid any other fishing vessels that may be near the port, and also their fishing nets, as it might affect the livelihood of many.

I hear that there is going to be a Welcoming Celebration of sorts and prime political figures from the Togolese government will be at port to welcome the ship and come aboard. We are all dressing up in our "Sunday Best" and standing out on the decks to watch the celebration ceremonies as we make our way in.

Please also keep the people of Togo in prayer with their pending elections...we were told today that the elections in 2005 had quite a bit of violence. But, before the elections in 2008, the UN stepped in and asked them to make changes to their election processes, and as a result the 2008 elections only had isolated outbreaks of violence. So...guys, please join us in prayer that the elections bring about a peaceful change for the people of Togo.



With that, I'll leave you. Expect another blog soon, since we are going to be on land in less than 12 hours. G'night whoever is out there. Dream sweetly...

2 comments:

Chuck Dodgen said...

Tati,
Great to see you doing this. It makes me miss the ship more and more. I know God has you there for a purpose. He doesn't do anything randomly. You will be pushed and pulled in many directions at once. Just keep your thoughts on Him and you will make it through. The screening always seems to be the biggest shocker to those who haven't seen this type of thing in the past. God bless and keep writing. We here at the IOC are praying for you and all the others.

Blessings,
Chuck

tati said...

Hey Chuck! :-)

Even though that you aren't here on the ship physically...I am sure that you know that you are still with us. I am so happy that I got to meet you in the short time that my service overlapped with yours.
Thanks for keeping tabs on me and letting me know that you are out there.

I will speak for myself (although, I am sure that there are many more out there like me) when I say that I am ever so thankful for the prayers and all the work that you guys at the IOC are doing for us!! You all help make this possible. Thank you.

<3, t