Friday, February 05, 2010

Ship Tour...ish...

So...I realize that I have been here for almost two weeks...and I have not shown you guys what the ship looks like...on the inside! My apologies! So, I have decided that this blog, will do just that. I do recognize that I should also write another update and I have a few other blog ideas...but one thing at a time. ;-)

This is reception...I know that there is no one behind the desk here, but usually there is. This is what you see when you walk into the ship from the gangway. Reception also happens to be on Deck 5.

This is the cafeteria...the cause of much angst for me. This is where we get all our meals...and trust me, they feed us well. Since I have come here, I have heard of a phenomenon called,"Mercy Hips" and I feel that I am still well on my way to gain enough weight to donate blood, if need be. Also, you all would be happy to know that I actually eat my veggies...usually twice a day, with lunch and dinner. It's awesome only having to walk up two flights of stairs to Deck 5 after work and have dinner all ready made for me. I don't know how I'm going to go back to being domesticated and cooking for myself after 6 month of this...

These are some of the stairs that lead from my deck (Deck 3) up to the other decks...and coincidentally, as the sign on the ground says...the route to the bow of the ship (who's access is also from Deck 3).

Once you come down said stairs onto Deck 3, you enter into the cabin area. My cabin is on the far left. Once the hall splits, there are two doors on each end (as seen on the right)...when you go through those doors, you enter into the hospital. Yes, my work place also happens to be on the same deck as my cabin. Definitely no 15-20 minute commute involved here!

Now, we are back on Deck 5...in the "mid-ships" area. (to note, reception and the cafeteria is at the bow of the ship) This is the cafe area. We are looking at the ship's Starbucks on your right and in the background there is the ship shop. The stairs to your left lead up to the top of "town square".

This is the the top of "town square". There are lots of sitting areas...and in the back left you can see the computer/internet access area for all the crew. This is also a wireless hotspot...hence a common place where I can be found. :-)

This is the library, which is also located on Deck 5. As you can see...it's actually 2 rooms big, full of books. We can also rent DVDs here. The cool thing is that it's open for 24 hours, which is awesome.

Back up on Deck 6, at the bow of the boat...kind of above the cafeteria, is the International Room. This is where we have all of our ship wide meetings, our Tuesday morning ship wide devotions, and our Thursday night Community Meetings.

Heading past the town square on Deck 6, you find the laundry room...this is also where we borrow vacuums to clean our cabins. (Yes, that means I have to carry it up and down 3 flights of stairs.)

Last, but not least, I am showing you the crew galley, located towards the stern of the boat on Deck 6...where we can cook our own meals if we like or bake up a feast. I hear that this is the place to be in the evenings, as you will undoubtedly get fed.

If I haven't told you before...there are 8 Decks on the Africa Mercy. Deck 8 is where the outdoor pool is located and is all open-air. Deck 7 has offices, conference rooms, and also has some outdoor areas. I don't have pictures of Deck 2, but there are more cabins down there, as well as a gym, and the ship's boutique, where you can pick up or donate items for use.

I hope that you've enjoyed the mini-tour. Sorry that it took so long. More to come later...and that's a promise! <3

No comments: