Saturday, January 30, 2010

There are so many things that run through my head throughout the day. So many things that I would like to share, or think that I should share with whoever is out there. And, I start constructing the lines to my next blog in my head. But, as soon as I sit down at the computer, it seems that all those pre-formed lines escape me. For instance, I am pretty sure that I sat here staring at this blank blog page for at least 30-60 minutes. The whole time thinking, "What to say? What to say? What do they want to hear? What do they want to know?" And, then comes the hardest part...figuring out how to say it.

It's still a bit weird knowing that people are reading what I'm writing...and then, not really knowing what anyone thinks about it. But, since I have no feedback...I guess I'll keep doing what I've been doing. Welcome to the thoughts of Tati...I wasn't lying about the title of this blog!

So...I know that some people are wondering what life is like here on the ship. "Is it like a cruise ship?", my little sister asked. My response, "I don't know...I've never been on a cruise ship." Hahaha, awfully informative, don't you think? I don't know if I have had any experience that I can liken my Mercy Ships experience to...

What can I say about my almost full week here? I can say that I've often stopped and am just in awe of the people and the variety here on the ship. People often think - hospital ship means hospital people. Well, we do have those - and the professions vary. We have pharmacists (2 of us), lab technicians, x-ray technicians, nurses, doctors, surgeons, dentists, dental assistants, dental hygienist, ophthalmologists, etc. But, we also have carpenters, engineers, school teachers and teaching assistants, receptionists, deckhands, people serving in PR, hospitality, HR, and in the dining hall. It's amazing. And, I am sure that I missed lots of the different areas that people work in here. So...there's more!

Yesterday, there was a surprise birthday cake for our crew physician (and also, my "boss") Dr. Craig (He's Canadian - from Ontario). While having cake there, I had a bit of my own "celebrity awe" moment, because that's where I met Dr. Parker. He's one of the surgeons here on the Africa Mercy. Now, you may be wondering why I had this moment. And, it's because...when preparing to volunteer with Mercy Ships, they sent me two DVDs about life on the ship and what Mercy Ships does. On one of the DVDs, Dr. Parker was sharing (He's been with Mercy Ships for over 20 years!)...he was saying how he likes knowing that nurses have prayed over the patients before they enter into the operating rooms. And, they showed a snippet of Dr. Parker praying over the patient with his operating team before starting the surgery...and it brought me to tears. I know that it may sound weird...but, I was just so touched, and so excited to be working in such an environment. I mean, I know that we are to do our work as an act of worship in everyday life...but to see it actually done and lived out. How amazing!

And, the astounding thing for me is...how humble these people are! It, in turn, humbles me. I think this is a lesson that I am going to be taught over and over and over while here...and more than likely, after my time with Mercy Ships. Lessons of plenty abound, let's pray that I have an open heart to learn and receive it.

Well...some friends and I are going to the beach while we still have the chance to get off the ship and do such things. And...also while it's warm. (The weather here in Tenerife is more spring-like, than summer-like...) Have a great day everyone...I know that I will!

P.S. Chuck - I hope that's writing enough to satisfy you. If I promise to write more, do you promise to comment? ;-)

No comments: